SPEECH & LANGUAGE APPS
Why use apps to improve speech and language skills?
- Tablets and phones are motivating! Studies have shown that children are more motivated to interact with an electronic device than they are by paper-and-pencil activities.
- Many apps offer free or "lite" versions so programs can be sampled before making a more expensive purchase.
- Apps provide an opportunity for parents and their children to spend time together while reinforcing education at home.
- Regardless of a child's age or ability level, tablets make information accessible through voice or touch.
- Apps can be easily incorporated into playing, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, and more!
- For students working on their articulation skills, many apps allow recording of a child's productions. This helps with comparing progress later, as well as providing the child a chance to self-evaluate.
- Apps are cost and time saving. They are generally cheaper than purchasing books or other materials, easier to access, and they help save the environment.
- Most apps can be adapted to different levels to meet your child's specific needs.
- As technology continues to expand within the educational setting, electronic devices and apps provide students with access to the Internet and all of the great technological resources that are available in that context.
- Many apps facilitate literacy development, a key factor in determining a child's academic success.
Read on to see some of our favorite or highly-rated apps!
Apps for Articulation
**Many articulation apps are expensive ($30-40 or more), HOWEVER, this is generally the case to purchase the full app with all sounds. Only the sound that your child is working on needs to be purchased, which greatly reduces the cost. Most articulation apps have a free or "lite" version and in-app purchases for a single sound range from $2-7, with some exceptions. Please be sure to keep this in mind when looking to purchase an app for articulation practice.
**Please also know that prices are subject to change. The prices listed below were current when the page was constructed and are updated periodically.
Small Talk Phonemes (free)
Quick Artic (free)
Boo Articulation Helper Lite (free)
Articulation Carnival (free; requires in-app purchase)
Artik Pix (free; requires in-app purchase)
Phonics Studio (free)
Articulation Station (free; requires in-app purchase)
Webber Photo Artic Castle (free; requires in-app purchase)
Game Show Articulation ($4.99) - S, Z, R, L, SH, TH, CH
I Dare You Articulation ($4.99) - S, Z, R, L, SH, TH, CH
Silly Sentence Articulation ($4.99) - S, Z, R, L, SH, TH, CH
/r/ Intensive ($21.99)
Articulation Scenes ($29.99)
Articulation Games ($34.99)
Apps for Language
Story Wheel Lite (free; offers in-app purchases)
Let's Name Things Fun Deck (free)
Fun With Directions Lite (free)
Wh- Question Cards (free; requires in-app purchase for more cards)
Step-by-Step Sequencing (free; offers in-app purchases)
Touch the Sound ($0.99)
Comparative Adjectives ($0.99)
Brainy Skills (all are $1.99) - there are a variety of Brainy Skills apps: Idioms, Inferencing, Synonym-Antonym, Wh- Questions
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/brainy-skills-idioms/id1048390124 (link is to Brainy Skills Idioms - can search for other skills)
Noodle Words HD ($2.99)
Magical Concepts ($9.99)
More Fun with Directions ($9.99)
Categories Learning Center ($11.99)
Things That Go Together ($0.99)
House of Learning ($6.99)
Preposition Remix ($14.99)
Auditory Workout ($24.99)
Splingo's Language Universe ($2.99)
Rainbow Sentences ($7.99)
Language Adventures ($24.99)
Compare & Contrast Fun Deck ($2.99)
Sentence Builder: Teen ($5.99)
General Apps for Multiple Skills
** The following apps are general apps that can be used to target a wide range of speech and language skills, including:articulation (practice naming objects on the screen with your child's sound or have your child focus on saying their sound correctly when talking about the app); following directions; sequencing; asking and answering questions; concepts; formulating sentences; etc.
ABC Mysteriez: Hidden Objects (free - offers in-app purchases)
I Spy With Lola Lite (free)
Bamba Apps (prices range from free-$2.99) - there are a variety of Bamba apps: Airport, Pizza, Farm, Post Office, Ice Cream, etc.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bamba-airport/id905232680 (link is to Bamba Airport - can search for other Bamba apps or visit bambatown.com)
Who Is It? Guess It! (free - offers in-app purchases)
Cookie Doodle ($0.99)
Heads Up ($0.99) - use the "Just Kidding" deck
Build and Play ($2.99) / Build and Play 2 (free)
Felt Board ($2.99)
Mr. Potato Head: School Rush ($3.99)